CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Tantrums

If there is something that goes against any part Lexi's momentary plants, it results in a temper tantrum. Can't play with the computer mouse: Tantrum. Can't eat Mommy's hair: Tantrum. I (or anyone) has to put you down: Tantrum. Can't follow anyone into any room (especially when we're not home and you don't know them): Tantrum. Someone leaves the house: Tantrum. Okay, I don't know what you want to eat: Tantrum. No, You can't run loose through Wal-Mart: Tantrum.

Jared and I are trying to discipline her with time-outs. You have to sit her in a chair and hold her head; if you don't hold her head she doesn't care . . . but I guess holding her head keeps her from looking around, and she HATES that.

I don't know what has happened. Maybe she is getting spoiled . . . or maybe it is all just a battle of the wills. She usually doesn't get her way (I think) when she lashes out. Maybe part of it is because she now knows there are people other than Mommy and Daddy that adore the living daylights out of her . . . so she has more control than she originally thought. Who knows.

I know spanking is an option . .. but with her I think I should save it for the big ones. She, I feel, is the kind of child that will only hit you back if you spank her. I am open to any or your opinions or ideas.

On a higher note, she has learned to tell you how old she is by holding up her index finger, can make a fish face, and follows the dog around saying "go!" (we are always telling the dog to "go"). Nanny walked down the stairs the other day and Alexis yelled "Nanna!" Kathy almost cried. Alexis can also say Pappie.

6 comments:

Meri said...

It ALWAYS happens about this age. It just means Lexie is normal. You just have to stand your ground, grit your teeth and move forward. You have begun the phase of not being able to go out to dinner & waiting for someone to watch her before you go shopping. They are very smart, but if you have the rare opportunity to pretend to ignore it, it's for the best. Don't talk to her, don't feed into it, wait for awhile and then calmly hug her. Can you put her in her crib and leave her alone? Holding her head is attention for it, even if she hates it. If no one is watching she will sooner or later (it might take awhile) learn it's not worth her effort. Of course, she will always choose times when you cannot ignore it.. chruch.. family over.. the store. Welcome to the joys of the terrible 2's! (no one tells you, but they really start at 1.)

Liz said...

Yes, I agree with the above comment - from everything I've heard, this is just how our little ones test the limits and learn what good behavior is. I think the worst thing to do is be wishy-washy about punishment, so whatever you decide to do, be firm about it.
Also, I always, always think of the scripture in the D&C that talks about "reproving betimes with sharpness" and afterward, "showing an increase of love." I try to always tell Katelyn how much I love her after reprimanding her so she knows my love is never a question. I may not like her behavior, but I always love HER. I think that helps, even with little ones this age. They need to know we love them no matter what.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Mom said...

Ignore bad behavior and praise good behavior. If possible, put her in the crib and ignore her for awhile. If in the store, leave everything and go home. I've done that. It's embarrassing and maddening, but they need to know that you are the one calling the shots around there. Love the dickens out of her when she's being good. Good Luck. God Bless!

Meri said...

As I was thinking about it today, when you can, redirecting her attention is HUGE. If you can predict a tantrum coming cut it off by directing her attention to something else. Food or toys work. But unfortunatly, at this age they are pretty stubborn with going through with the tantrum. I use to keep those tiny dum dum lolly pops in my purse and when we went shopping I would give one to Luke when he started getting antsy, if he started getting upset about something I would take the lolly away and tell him he has to be good to eat it.
You'll do great whatever you do cause you love her.

Mom said...

rGood advice Meri. What Lexi wants more than anything is to be with her family. When she behaves badly, she has to be temporarily separated. When she's sweet, she's with the family. Concept works for grown-ups too. When Brock 1st came to Pet. and he'd act out during church, I'd take him to a far-away classroom and let him scream. When he'd stop, he'd get to go back to his Mom. In two weeks, no more tantrums during Sacrament. Call me. I haven't talked to you in a long time.

Siddoways said...

On one hand I am totally jelouse that your child is talking. On the other hand I simpathize... I think it is the age. They are finally getting some independance and understand when you are trying to switch their attention. I do notice Blake is less likely to throw a fit if he is well rested.