I turned 27 the day before Thanksgiving this year. It was hard because 27 seems so much older than 26--but whatever. I am still young, right? I think the best gift I got this year was the day before my birthday. I was pricing out pumpkin pies at the local bakeries, and I went into one and bought Alexis and I some fancy pastries. The owner--a man with a very thick Italian accent--came out and asked "Is that yours?" I didn't realize he was talking to me at first but then he said again, "I'm sorry--does that child belong to you?" I replied yes, and he asked, "How old are you? We have a bet going on in the back."
"I will be 27 tomorrow."
His eyes widened, and he said, "I thought if you ordered alcohol I would have to card you!"
"That is alright with me."
I ended up buying a pumpkin pie from them.
Since Kathy and Kelly went to Utah to spend Thanksgiving with Matt and Jamie, on my actual birthday Jared and I loaded Lexi and all our clothes into the car and drove to Connecticut to spend Thanksgiving with the Millards. We got there really late--or really early Thursday morning. I felt kind of lame because I didn't make anything--but Megan did an awesome job and everything was really good. She also was really good at not making me feel guilty or lazy for not making anything. I didn't take any pictures on actual Thanksgiving.
On Friday Megan and I got up early to get a couple things we wanted on Black Friday. Well--I just wanted a portable DVD player for the plane trip to California--and I found some cute slippers for like 50 percent off. Megan got a lot more stuff. A shout out to Meri on her advice to have one of us stand in line while the other shopped. It worked out perfectly. I was almost worried Megan wasn't going to make it to the check out in time--and she was worried the Target employee wouldn't let her through the red tape--but I already informed him she was coming and we were in and out in less than an hour.
On Saturday I had my first trip to New York City. I saw the Statue of Liberty while we were driving--but parking was nuts and to pay to park really close was super pricey; I was perfectly happy just to see it out the van Window. Matt offered to drop me off and roam the streets myself to get a closer look at Ole' Lady Liberty--but I declined. I did get some pictures of other things.
This might be Ground Zero--but we are not sure :)
These above pictures I think speak for themselves.
This is everyone (except me--of course). The Millards have three kids. All three of them combined were actually as easy as Alexis was by herself. Our trip to the City was pretty short lived. It was cold--and it was two days after Thanksgiving--and there were four kids. Enough said.
This is Megan and Matt bartering with the New York street salesman about a purse.
This is Jared and Luke. When I went to get a good look at the skating rink all the other Millards disappeared--and I took a picture of Jared and Luke while we waited for them to come back.
This is just a picture of the streets so you can see how crazy busy it was. Jared says it was busier than usual--but not by a whole lot. I like living in a smaller town.
Anyway-I took some pictures of the kids while we were there. Megan thought we should take a video of the boys and Alexis running around together. Matt said, "To play at the wedding reception?" See--the hour Jared and I found out Alexis was a girl, we decided to arrange a marriage with one of our friend's sons (or manipulate one). Sam is the one we are routing for, because the whole time I was pregnant with Lexi Sam thought she was a car--or a baby--he was very confused (he was and is obsessed with cars). Even during our trip to NY Sam said, "Hey, look, there's Alexis . . . and there's a LEXUS!" Love it! Sam is 6, reads like he's 10--and is SO nice to Alexis and very polite. If he doesn't work out--there is also Luke Millard. Luke is 4, knows all the US states and their capitals, and where they are on the map--and is very good at sharing his favorite toys. If that doesn't work out we have some other friends with boys about the right age. Jared and I think it is perfect--because then Alexis doesn't have to date. Now that the Millards have a daughter of their own they seem to see the genius in the idea even more. Jared and Matt have plotted a way to manipulate Alexis into falling in love with one of the boys--even a thought of how the kids will think we are pushing them apart at one point. Here are some pics:
Jared told me two days after we got back that Matt called and said the boys were arguing over who gets to marry Alexis when they get older. Apparently they agreed to eenie-meenie-minie-moe over it. I think this picture says it all:
Anyway, 10 days until Alexis and I get to go to California!!!! Jared will show up in about 17 days. It has been too long since I have been home--and I need Alexis to meet her Larsen family! Love you all!
Highlights Week 52
3 years ago
15 comments:
I'm so jealous that you have been to New York!! So awesome, even if it was for a short visit!
And woo hoo about Black Friday! I'm so glad to help! Ryan and I did the one stand in line, and the other shop thing too...except he ended up spending all the time in line. :) He insisted though!
I'm SO SO excited to finally see my sister and her baby after all these years! And Jared too...how many times have we met? One?
Merry Christmas Smith Family! See you soon!
Dad and I are back from Cabo. I'm so happy that you got to see New York. I'm so impressed with New Yorkers since I started watching Cash Cab. Those people are smart! Loved every picture, but the tree wasn't really self-explanatory. I like your plan about arranging Lexi's marriage. And skipping the whole dating thing. Sounds like you have some excellent prospects to choose from. Love you so much. Mom
Great pictures of the kids and New York! I was a bit surprised by the number of people in that one picture! Makes me appreciate living in a smaller town too:)
Wishing you great flight out here!
I can see it now..."so how did you two end up together"...."eenie, meenie, minie, mo". So cute!
Hi, I'm Sarah
Love your blog! Come visit mine? :)
x
Hi Laura and Jared, Nice blog! How to add the Glitter Effect Mouse Pointer to your Blog
I just stumbled across your blog and I had to laugh. I'm 43 and have 6 kids, and still get asked if I'm in highschool. =)
Looks like your family had a great time in NYC. We visited there last winter- great place, but it was so nice to get back home.
Thanks for writing!
=)
Nice Blog.........
Grandes Marques surchaussurespaschere.fr de -50% a -20%. Pas Cher. Livré Rapidement !
Post a Comment